Friday, March 19, 2010

What to do with my Kenzadoo?

Okeydoke- so the littlest Miss America in our home started sucking her thumb somewhere over the ocean on our way to Hawaii, and never really stopped. UNTIL about 5 months ago when I made an amazing breakthrough discovery that changed life as we knew it... are you ready for this? I began putting a thin little strip of vinyl around her thumb, sort of like a ring. She quit sucking her thumb, literally, OVERNIGHT! If she managed to get the vinyl off, we'd just go pick a new color and we were back in business. We managed to wean her from even needing the reminder of vinyl. She went MONTHS without sucking her thumb! I wanted to notify the Tabernacle Choir and have them sing a Halle-freakin'-lujjiah chorus, just for my girl!

But...

A few weeks ago she got sick and she's started that rotten habit all over again. The worst part is that what worked before, isn't working now. She can rip that strip faster than I can eat a box of girlscout cookies (and that's fast!) The more I pay attention to it and ask her not to, the more she does it. It's making me insane (so THAT's what happened to me!)!!! Anywho...

Some things I have discovered...****NEWSFLASH!****


It's impossible to suck your thumb when your hands are busy.
It's pretty easy to suck your thumb when watching tv.
It's pretty hard to suck your thumb while holding a book.
It's pretty easy to suck your thumb while laying in bed.
If Kenz asks me for something and I am busy, thumb goes into mouth while waiting for me to be not busy.
If Kenz asks me for something and I respond quickly, no thumb...


So I think I am going to say no tv in our home for the next 3 weeks while we break this rotten habit.

The only REAL problem with all of that is that I enjoy Kenzington watching Dora, Team Umizumi, etc. almost as much as she does, and I have never ever ever been the momma that entertains all day long! But I am sure that if I can find just the right things to keep her hands busy and keep her entertaining herself, we'll make it through this. I think we will make ublich (slime!) tomorrow (recipe below)as #1 it has the ability to entertain my girl for hours and #2 it makes her hands taste gross!

Wish us luck! We're going to need it!

Ublich

1/4 cup White Glue
1 1/4 cup Water, divided
1 tbsp. Borax - found in the laundry detergent aisle of your grocery store
Food Coloring

Borax is available in the laundry section of your local grocery store. Add 1 tbsp. Borax to one cup of warm water. Stir until completely dissolved.

Make a 50% water 50% white glue solution by taking 1/4 cup of each and mix thoroughly.

In a ziploc bag, add equal parts of the borax solution to equal parts of the glue solution. (Half cup of each will make a cup of slime.)

Add a couple drops of food coloring. Seal bag and knead the mixture.

If slime is too sticky, add a little more borax. If slime is too slippery, add a little more white glue solution.

ENJOY!

5 comments:

  1. I should mention that Kenzi actually call ublich "blue ouchie," and I am not so very sure why! Giggling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Preston, who is almost 6, has sucked his thumb since in the womb. We tried to break the habit with every known "remedy." Nothing worked. We finally just gave up trying. As he's gotten older, he wants to stop. We catch him doing it every so often, but hardly at all. When he was Kenzi's age, we were fighting it so hard. I had a LOT of people tell me their experience (good and bad) and that was the choice that we made, to just remind him when he needs reminding, but hope and pray that he grows out of it.

    Such a hard habit to deal with! Good luck with the blue ouchie ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sucked my finger for a long time. My parents took me to the dentist and they put this thing in my mouth and it made it impossible to get my finger in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. So far today has been MOSTLY thumb-free. We did purchase the nasty crap to put on her thumbs and so far I'm underimpressed. We might be headed to the dentist! I agree, Melinda, that I think that for the most part, eventually they quit on their own. It's just so hard for me that it is this constant lately when she went for MONTHS without doing it at all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry that she got back in the habit. I haven't even attempted with my little thumb sucker. You are months ahead of me. What great ideas you have and great job for moving forward with it all.

    ReplyDelete