Monday, August 30, 2010

Hurting Hands, Healing Hands

Last night I did something SOOOO stupid! I burnt BOTH hands to China moving a bowl of boiling water from the microwave. The bowl was not only too hot to be moving the way I did, but too full with the nearest countertop too far away. Anyway, long story short, it didn't seem too hot when I started, but seemed to get hotter as I went. The countertop is across the room a bit and the faster I hurried, the more boiling hot water I spilt on myself. I finally made a decision to drop the glass bowl and risk it shattering because the results would have been better. Oh I'm an idiot!

Anyway- as long as I kept my hands in a bucket of cool water, I was fine, but I knew that eventually I had to transition out and the pain was too much to bare! I phoned a friend that is a nurse and another friend that works in Tooele's ER. Both gave good advice and suggested that a trip to the ER was unnecessary and that they wouldn't be able to do anything for me that I wasn't already doing.

Dave and Bobby gave me a Priesthood blessing, standing right there at my kitchen sink with my hands in a bucket! Kenzington came into the kitchen just before they offered the blessing and they told her what they were going to do. It was sooo cute, she told them not to worry cuz she would put her hands on my head and say a prayer! They explained to her a bit about blessings, but I sure thought that was darling!

Like I mentioned above, if I didn't have my hands in cool water the pain was SOOOO intense! The only way I can describe it is that if they weren't in cool water, it felt like I had them in boiling water. I'm not sure exactly how I knew, but from that blessing I knew that if I could go 10-15 minutes without that bucket of water, the pain would end and I'd be able to sleep, but it was just getting through those 10-15 minutes that would be the miserable part. All I could do was just bawl and pray. Dave actually gave me another blessing for comfort while I was going through that transition time. No sooner had he placed his hands on my head than the pain began to subside in my left hand. No sooner had he lifted them from my head when the pain began to subside from my right hand. 5 minutes later and I was able to relax a bit and soon sleep throughout the night with very little pain. The Priesthood works!

Today I can (obviously) type, and clean, and do pretty much anything I normally would do! I was soooo worried about that! We take our hands for granted! Also, I start school today and I am very grateful to have almost full use of my hands, just as I was promised in that blessing last night. There are a few things I need to do carefully and slowly, but I'm grateful to be able to do at all. The Priesthood works!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're ok! It's also cool that you could have a teaching moment with your kids and that they could see the Priesthood in action! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUCH!! That is horrible! I'm so glad that you're ok.

    ReplyDelete