Monday, October 24, 2011

Toasted Cinnamon Pumpkin Seed Recipe- YUM!

I know, I know... When you are in the middle of getting the guts out of a pumpkin, eating ANYTHING isn't exactly on your mind. But if you've ever tasted roasted pumpkin seeds, somehow you'll find a way to try this recipe!

Recipe is a LOOSE term... This is one of those things where you actually don't measure, you just do! It's sort of hard to screw up if you've spent much time in your kitchen, even if it is just eating... I think you'll all do fine, let me know-

We carved five pumpkins tonight, so there were PLENTY of seeds amongst all the guts! I found out the easiest way to collect them was out of the clean garbage bag we were using to put the guts in. I would grab a handful of guts and shake it gently, then scoop up the loose seeds that were left behind.

Then I threw them in a colander and rinsed them in warm water, picking out whatever stringies I could find as I went. I then put the seeds in some salted boiling water for about 10 minutes. When that was done I drained them and then spread them out on a tin-foil lined baking sheet. Add a few tablespoons of olive oil and spread them out so that none are on top of each other. Pop them into a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes. While they were still warm, I added a cinnamon and sugar mixture and a little more olive oil, (just to help the cinnamon stick) and stirred them around to coat. Mmmmm- hope you ENJOY as much as I did!

PS- pumpkin seeds are VERY good for you! (olive oil and sugar probably aren't, let's call it a trade-off!)

No comments:

Post a Comment